Sunday, February 05, 2006

Still no LOI

My post from earlier today seems to have been erased. I kinda liked it - but now I will have to try to recreate it...

My week has been pretty horrible. It started out with the realization that we still have not received our LOI.

Then... I found out that my district office didn't pay me for 6/5 time. I am currently teaching more students than my contract allows so I am supposed to get paid more. This is good for the adoption - especially since I didn't have any income since last September. But not good when the district makes a "mistake" and forgets to pay you. The mistake has been corrected and I should get my 6/5 pay next month.

Next... I receive a letter stating that my health coverage had been cancelled as of 09/01/05 because I was an inactive teacher. However, I set it up with my district last August and have been paying$740 per month out of pocket for the health coverage. I contacted the district office and it turns out that they made a "mistake" and all I will have to do is re-bill any doctors that have billed me since September. It really "should be no problem" for me. I just have to contact each of those doctors and have them re-bill. Hmmm....

The next day I receive an email stating that I would not be allowed to use maternity leave for my trip to Kazakhstan. It seems that my district office thinks that since I didn't "actually physically give birth" that maternity leave doesn't apply to me. Accordingly, they have contacted an attourney regarding my prospective absences. Lovely! This is the same district office that allows health coverage for domestic partners and allegedly granted a maternity leave to another adoptive mom.

I ended up in my Principal's office crying later that day. He was kind, supportive, and helpful and he sent me home from school. He has contacted the district office to try to determine what the HELL is going on. Hopefully this is all just another "mistake".

......

Sometimes I think that I will never be able to go get our son. Sometimes I think that all forces are working against my husband and I starting a family. Sometimes I wonder why this journey is so difficult.

Then I read and remember about many other families out there that have had difficult journeys, too. Sometimes I wonder how they do it each day and sometimes I think that they don't. And it is okay if on somedays I can't do it, either.

Note to self: Keep waiting. Breathe. Grade your papers. It is only 199 tests. Shouldn't take much more than 15 hours! ; )

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Melissa..... I just want to Hug you.... it sucks when it feels like its you against the whole frickin world.

It's just lame about the whole maternity leave... us Paps need to take a stand on that one... im really sorry your having such a bad week.

Im praying for you and all those waiting still- hang in there, your not alone (( hugs))

Maggie said...

It's one thing after another... I've got my fingers crossed that your LOI comes soon.

btw - Blogger has been acting up lately. I have a post that took me three tries to have it stick, but it won't accept comments... weird.

A Room to Grow said...

Wow, tough week!! I'm sure things will be better soon, and your time off issues are just the result of someone in the admin office "doing their job" by the books. Let's hope so at least! :)

Take care,
Tricia

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rhonda said...

Sorry, I deleted my last post. I just realized you are from California and I thought they had state laws requiring adoptions to have paid maternity leave. I could be wrong, but that's what I was thinking...
Anyways, I just wanted to say hang in there...this wait is so tough, but its going to be worth it in the end.
Rhonda