Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Neeeee-Yet!


Today, Maksim's strong personality came through. He was feeling more comfortable with us. He really loves the toys and snacks that we bring.

We brought his blanket and a floor puzzle but he wasn't too interested in either yet. When we finished the puzzle we said, "Machina" and he gave us a "da-aa". (like we had done a good job recognizing the machina on the puzzle.) It was pretty funny.

He learned a couple of English phrases, today: Shake it and so much. Shake it he learned from the little machina that we brought to him. When you shake it you can put it on the ground and it goes fast. Today, we left the car at home, but we brought some matchbox cars. I picked one up and started shaking it and he yelled out "Shake it!". We were both surprised and he was proud. So much comes from a saying on his toy cell phone. You press a certain button and it says "I love you so much". Maksim has been pressing the button over and over and saying "Loublue" (love). Today, though, he started saying "so much". He learned these all by himself. I mean - we didn't try to repeat or teach them to him. It is so adorable. So now we all say "so much" when we say I love you. I think he will have I love you so much! down soon. It is funny because the words we have been trying to teach him have not come, yet. I know they will.

Maksim thinks Papa's moustache is sharp. He doesn't want to kiss Papa. He says Nee-yet! He just plays with his moustache and beard. Maksim does not want to share his toys with Momma and Daddy. He would turn his back on us so that we couldn't share his matchbox cars. When we would try to get our own car to play with he would say Nee-yet! When Momma tried to get him to take a horsey ride on her ankle, he said Neeeeeee-yet! But when Momma was persistent he loved it. We showed him a new book and he didn't like it at all. Neeeeee-yet! Neeeeee-yet! Neeeeee-yet!

We think that he is beginning to feel more comfortable with us and so is testing our authority! When we are firm with him, he immediately does what we ask (should I say sign?). It is definately difficult with the language barrier. He loves when the caregivers come into the visiting room. He talks to them non-stop. I know that he wishes we spoke Russian. He loves to talk and communicate.

At the end of the visiting sessions, he was getting tired and laying down. So Momma picked him up. He wouldn't quite relax in her arms even though he needed to rest. So Momma and Daddy sang him a song. He relaxed as Momma rocked him and smiled peacefully as we sang our duet. It didn't get him to close his eyes but it was a wonderful family moment.

6 comments:

Jennefer said...

What wonderful photos and time together. I am sure the language barrier will soon diminish. We had a Russian over to try and teach us some phrases. He laughed at me and said he had never heard such a horrible american accent in someone trying to speak Russian!

Anonymous said...

The whole thing is so amazing...that you could love a little boy you just met a week ago as so awesome...we all feel the same way..like he was suppose to be ours all along...

love..Momma

Anonymous said...

We all took our afternoon break together and read of your newest adventures...even Bill came in. We have a new client from Russia. I showed her your photos. Her comment was, "Oh, that's a Russian baby." She also thought Maks looks like Jason AND Melissa! You have so many contacts we are finding for you in the U.S.

Maggie said...

It doesn't take but a minute to fall in love, does it? I can hear Peanut saying NYEEEEET in that long drawn-out way. You'll continue to be amazed at how quickly Maks will pick up language -- in fact, he'll probably be quicker than my Peanut, since my boy is 8. (By the way, Peanut's first words in English were "stand" and "walk" -- he learned them on the people mover at the airport!)

Anonymous said...

I could not be more happy for the both of you! The pictures of Jason with Maks just kill me-they are so sweet! Melissa, seeing you with Maks just makes me cry! You look so happy and content with him and so does he. I am so amazed that you are hugging each other and telling each other "so much", it all just makes me cry (happy tears). After all this time, it is finally happening-you are momma and daddy-it is so good to hear you refer to yourselves like that-I love it! I am getting to mushy, so I apologize, I am just so damn happy for the two of you! Yes!
-Claire

Anonymous said...

I thought about you guys all day at work and finally had to log on and see the latest. A great reward for me...such WONDERFUL pictures and exciting news of bonding and happiness. I can't believe how much he already feels like part of the family. I can't wait to see and hear what comes next.

Love,
Sharon