Friday, March 03, 2006

Physics Number 3

To find the answers to the questions that you have asked, you will have to go to the day that you posted the comment on, then click on the comments so that you are able to read all of them. You will see that I have commented back to you there. So don't worry, 3rd period, I have answered your question about cancer patients.

You should have also read about Entropy. Entropy is the randomness or disorder of the universe. In an ordered Universe, people can harness the transfer of heat to do work. For example your cars engine. There is a hot part (the explosion of gases in the piston) that is separated from the cold part (the exhaust to the outside environment). This is considered ordered because the hot and cold region are separate. Now when we do work, heat is transferred from the hot region to the cold region. In fact in your cars engine almost 75% of the heat that is transferred cannot be used for work. In other words it is WASTED! So when most of the hot part goes into the cold part we get warm. Lots of random molecules moving around in a random fashion. We can no longer harness this energy because the energy will not try to flow. We say that the Entropy has increased because the system looks more random now. In all natural processes the Entropy will increase and that means we will be able to do less and less work.

You should write some questions about entropy in this post. I will respond to them soon.

On another note,

I have heard that period 3 is being rambunctious! You are supposed to be a nice class that works hard! We I still see good results on your heat test?

4th period - I hear that you are well behaved and trying hard. I appreciate this.

5th period - What the heck is going on around there? Erika and Caitlin!! You need to try to learn something. I hope that you will not continue to talk and waste time. Apparently someone decided to light the trash can on fire. Have you completely lost it? It is not funny. I wonder why Javier had to go to the Nurses office for a burn on his finger. Seems a little coincidental. I know that he enjoys going to Santa Barbara High School. Hmmm... I had hopes that your class would be mature enough to handle my being away. You all are very smart. I would like for you to use your brain power. Please do not give your substitute, the Principal, or me a heart attack!

6th period - It seems that Gia and Jessica have had trouble with staying on task. Please continue to be my cute little 6th period,hard working class.

I will return soon. Please try to learn and be respectful. It is the only rule in the classroom.

No comments: