
We have had some exciting couple of days. Not to mention crazy, wonderful, tiring, happy, sad, fun, and scary. Yesterday, we went to a ski resort. It was cold and there was some great snow. It was kinda like Utah must have been in the 1950's. There was just one lift or should I say a tow rope and a few buildings. I didn't even see the cashier. Jason and I were sad that we hadn't come up to try it before picking up our bundle. Actually, Mom tried to talk Papa into it but he wouldn't. Then we get up there and he tells Lena- man I wish someone would've have told me about this. Of course he must have forgotten Mom's pleading. ;) We ate lunch and talked to a couple of doggies. We sure miss our Audry Bear.
Maksim was trying to push all of his Papa's buttons. He would do everything thatSo today, we went back to the baby house for a visit. We took some flowers for a couple of our favorite caregivers and some little candy bar/cookie things for the children. I wanted to take fruit but everyone thought candy would be better. I was half afraid to go back because I thought Maksim might either scream at the top of his lungs and not enter or not want to leave when it was time. Neither happened! He just visited with some of his friends. Hugged and laughed with one of our favorite caregivers and got punched by Alosha in the stomach as he pinched Alosha's arm (nice). We said goodbye forever and headed out of there. Lena and Maksim laughed so hard as she said "lets get out of here quick!" They both ran as fast as Maksim could down the stairs and off the driveway. Yeah! He wants to stay with his Mom and Papa. (BTW - I decided to be called Mom because I couldn't stand it when Maksim says Mama to all the ladies he sees. I am right here!!!!! I know, I know, all ladies are Mama but I can't help but have hurt feelings :)
Papa told him not to do. Dangerous things like eating HUGE bites of stuff to
choke and putting smaller toysin his mouth, pushing the buttons on the DVD
player,hitting the glass doors- even redirection wasn't working. It was a little
frightening. So I took him into time out. He was crying big tears and scream-
ing (just a bit - actually whenever his voice is too loud - I just remind him and
he screams with a whisper) Then I remembered something I read about kids
that are grieving the loss of their caregivers. It was just like they described. So
I took him to the computer and we looked at pictures of the kids and Mama
Tanya (his favorite) and he stopped and stared for many minutes. The comp-
uter would try to move the next pic and we would put it back. Jason and I were
both were tearing up thinking about it.
It must be really scary for him to not be able to communicate with us in Russian.
It must be frustrating that these dummies can't even understand a simple
sentence. It must really suck that all we do is say all this stuff he can't understand.
On top of it he has been "abducted" and can't see his friends or his Mamas or any
of the things he knows.
We went for a long walk to the local grocery store and Maksim fell asleep in the backpack. I was so happy. I looked over at him as we started out and gave him a quick smile. I got my first "I love you" smile back. All the other smiles were "you are so funny" or "this is fun". But THIS smile was a "I am happy and your pretty cool." Sigh. There was some sight seeing and playing and picture taking. One interesting thing at a playground, there was a small collection of "Apache" Indian statues. Strange - I guess we owe that to Hollywood. It took me a second to sound it out in the Cyrillic Alphabet... No Kazakh statues, or Mongols, or... just Apache (?) Questionable history, too, because there was a Tinglit totem pole. Oh well - Hollywood isn't all that accurate.
We are learning some things about being Maksim's parents. We are frustrated with his behavior sometimes. But all in all a wonderful first few days together. Now can we come home, yet???
I have some cool pics, but you know blogger!! :P

4 comments:
HELLO FAMILY,
I ENJOYED READING EVERY WORD. YOU LOOK SO HAPPY ALL TOGETHER. MELIS, YOU ARE SO GOOD TO ALLOW MAKSIM THAT CLOSURE, HOW KIND AND LOVING. I CAN IMAGINE HOW SCARED YOU WERE ABOUT HIS REACTION, YOU ARE A GREAT, BRAVE MOM. THE PARENTAL INTUITION IS THERE, AND WILL KEEP DEVELOPING. TELL MAKSIM HIS BABOOSHKA LOVES HIM. I LOVE YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH.
MOM
You must relenquish your hope of peaceful tranquility once you're home! The wild screaming,jumping, Boundary Testing, wound up little boy who is constsantly in motion while there will do so at home, well, anywhere! I'm begining to wonder if Maks and Jeremiah aren't cosmically conjoined at the personality twins. He sounds like so much fun!!! It will be great to see you all home. We are eager to visit as soon as you are ready. We love you.
The Johnson Family
We know your frustration...Mateo had me in tears a few times. Both boys are good boys...I know you know that. You'll be amamzed at the transforamtion once Maks knows he is at his forever home. It's just around the corner - and Almaty is so modern, you'll feel so much closer to home!
Sapp Family
Hello again! I loved reading this. Wow, what amazing parents you are. I think it is incredible that you allowed Maks time to grieve and time to say good bye. Melissa, you are going to be the best Mom in the world. Okay, Jason, you are going to be an awesome dad too. Anyway, loved reading and truly feeling the love you have for Maks today. Keep up the good work. Be strong-soon you will be home!!!!!
Post a Comment