Thursday, April 20, 2006

Dom Mali Dom

Home Sweet Home!



We finally made it to California after about 24 hours in planes and airports. Our trip to Kazakhstan was the best thing that has ever happened to us. Of course, it was also a long gnarly trip.

Maksim was very good on the airplanes and slept for much of the time. Thanks Terri! He had about a total of 1 hours worth of crying or screaming but for the most part just loved the adventure. My sister and her family, my brother, my mom and her husband and my dad were all there to welcome us home. It was so great to see everyone. Of course we all cried and hugged and Maksim jumped straight into Grandpa's arms.

Oak View is so beautiful and green and the sounds of birds fill our ears. Yeah! Luckily there are no horns continually honking. Our animals were very happy to see us and follow us around. We cannot thank Nana and Papa Jon enough for staying in our house for 63 days and taking care of everything. THey had to fix a leaking water heater, deal with a leaking roof. They also did a bounch of projects like installing shelves, staining furniture and Papa Jon made a wonderful copper fish for the front door. We love it! I don't know how you can ever repay someone for such a gift. We will be forever grateful. And now I am speaking in cliches.

When we got home, so much weight and worry was lifted off of our shoulders. Maksim settled right in. He was pretty scared of Audry Bear (our dog) a first. But after Shamma (our cat) swiped and scratched him he decided that Audry was pretty cool after all. He keeps saying "Shamma no, Audry da!" as he motions with his hands what Shamma did to his hand. Sooooo funny. Now he is kissing, feeding, loving, hugging and chasing Audry. He keeps us laughing and amazed. He is sweet and smart and loving. What an amazing treasure.

Thank you to everyone for following our blog and making comments. Your words, thoughts and advice kept us going when we thought there was no end.

It was ALL worth it.


Horse sausage - Yum! Thanks to Bulgan for bringing the sausage and baulsak. Very tasty.
Celebration dinner at Soho on our last day


Cousins finally united.


Engine room of the New Salt. My boys love machines! Almost as much as Mom.

16 comments:

Rhonda said...

YEAH! Finally! Welcome home Maksim.

Maggie said...

Congratulations. I'm so happy you're home. And these of Maks seem like he's been there forever. He looks comfortable and at ease.

Anonymous said...

Yay, welcome home! happy endings make great new beginnings. (is that a cliche?)

Tawni said...

yay!! finally! welcome home guys and congratulations!! I am so happy for all of you it must feel good to finally be home. My sisters and I would love to come to California some time and meet Maks. well, congratulations again! Love Tawni

A Room to Grow said...

looks like maks is a california boy already. i'm glad to hear that you are finally home. i was beginning to wonder how much longer it was going to be. was it supposed to be 63 days?

Chris Sapp said...

YES! It brings tears to my eyes remembering that magic moment with out children! Maksim is FINALLY home. Isn't it amazing to think God created this child, from the moment he was conceived, just for you? It's so overwhelming and beautiful to think about! He looks just like his cousins, minus the long hair :-) WE ARE SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU and hope to reunite the boys someday. I can't wait to wake Mateo and tell him, "Maksim's home!"

Michelle, Chris, Mateo & Natalia

Deb said...

Welcome home. Glad Maksim is settling in good.

Anonymous said...

In response to Tricia's question above, other agencies get ther families out of Ust in about 40 days.

Woods Family said...

There are two entities that work in Ust. Frank Foundation (there are many different agencies that work through them) and AIP. The process of getting custody of the children seems exactly the same for each agency. However, obtaining passport and exit visas for the children is the difference in time.

We knew going in that it could take up to 60 days. We just didn't know how gnarly it would be.

On the other hand - that 63 days was some of the best days in our life. Together. Learning about eachother. Being a family. When else do families get such quality time?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful family!!!

I will keep following your posts as long as you keep making them, I just love seeing you with your happy little son.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! There is nothing like being home after being gone soooo long (I know that from experience). But your time away was and is well worth the reward! Congratulations!

Love,
Alicia & Colt

Anonymous said...

Ms. Woods! Welcome home. Following your journey has been so touching. I cannot WAIT to meet Maks (and feed him cucumbers, LOL, maybe it's a cultural thing...yassi says it is). It makes me incredibly happy that everything you guys went through was completely worth it. Congratulations!!! Hope Maks settles down all right and hope to see you soon!


xoxoxoxo for you, your husband and little Maks,

Tessa et al

Jennefer said...

Congrats on making it home!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Woods,

It has been amazing following your experience. I am so glad that you are finally back in CA and that all is well. Maks is adorable! Lindsay Maier and I always thought that you would make a wonderful mother and it sounds as though you are well on your way. I don't know if you are heading back to your class room at all this year, but I am going to visit SBHS as soon as I am home in three weeks!

Rachel Stein

Anonymous said...

Ms. Woods - I read something about CHernobyl the other day and totally thought about you! How is everything going?

xo
Tessa et al

CarolinaGirl said...

I have loved reading your blog! Congratulations on your most adorable son!! By the way...I love your dog...too cute. We have a bulldog..your dog towers over our Lilly :) I am still in Moscow waiting for my husband and daughter to get here tomorrow. That is the day that our son will be out of the orphanage and we will have a week before we get to go home!. Keep writing and letting everyone know how California life is going!. Caroline