
We are Jason and Melissa Woods. We decided to adopt a child from Kazakhstan so that we could be parents and a child could have a forever family. We signed with Adoption International Program after some research.
In Kazakhstan, referrals (the child that you want to adopt) are not official until you meet the child, spend 2 weeks bonding, then go to court to ask to adopt that child. The judge usually assigns a 2 week waiting period after the court date for the adoption to become final. Then you travel to Almaty where there is a US Embassy and you obtain the paperwork to bring the child home. Sounds straight forward, but the whole trip takes roughly 8 weeks! Sometimes, parents make two trips. We are not exactly sure if we will take one or two trips.
We started the process in January of 2005. (see timeline post) We have had some paperwork delays so things aren't going according to plan! We continue to hope and pray that it will all work out in the end.
Thanks for reading. We will continue this blog along our journey in order to keep you posted on what's going on. If you would like to leave us comments, please do. We love to read them. Which reminds me - sometimes strange comments get through. I am working on deleting them!
Keep us in your thoughts!
2 comments:
Mrs. Woods!
Thank you so much for the link to your blog. I was so excited to get to see an update on how things are going for you. My hope is with you both that everything will work out perfectly. And I loved seeing the pictures. --Rachel Stein
Why am i leaving a comment on such an old post? Because I just read the whole thing backwards.
We adopted with AIP as well. Our timeline was almost exactly the same as yours, only a year later. We started the process in 2/06 and traveld in 3/07.
Reading your posts about the setbacks and issues with paperwork brought back some memories for me of the same things. It is so tough when you are going through it but when you finally hold your child in your arms it all sort of fades away.
Your son is beautiful and I am glad you found each other. I hope your current issues with the school system and attachment work themselves out for you soon. We were not going to have our son do the early intervention screening at first but I think maybe it is important that we do that. I need to call and get it scheduled.
Kim
mom to Dmitrii
adopted from Ust-Kamenogorsk
March 2007
Post a Comment